About the OWANA Zoning Committee
The OWANA Zoning Committee was established to support the goals of the Old West Austin Neighborhood Plan and Design Standards for the OWANA local historic districts — Castle Hill LHD, Harthan Street LHD and Smoot Terrace Park LHD — in order to protect residential properties and the residential core of Old West Austin and Clarksville.
The Zoning Committee meets monthly to review all projects and proposed zoning changes within OWANA’s boundaries, as well as other types of code changes. The Zoning Chair sends out all permit notices received from the City of Austin to OWANA members via the listserv. The Chair contacts permit applicants directly and requests that they attend the Zoning meeting to share their plans. Often, property owners/developers within OWANA boundaries may contact the committee directly to engage in dialogue about future projects or permit applications.
The committee works with individual permit applicants to provide feedback on projects and inform applicants on the development goals of the neighborhood. The committee acts as an informational source for the applicant and avoids taking adversarial positions on projects whenever possible.
In 2003 OWANA spearheaded the designation of our neighborhood as a National Historic Register District. As part of this effort, all properties within OWANA were researched and classified as either contributing or non-contributing to the Historic District. Therefore, a primary goal of the Zoning Committee in accordance with the Neighborhood Plan is to protect the historic housing stock of contributing properties to ensure that OWANA maintains its National Register Historic District status under federal law.
The Zoning Committee also facilitates interaction among project applicants, nearby property owners, and city staff. The goal of the Zoning Committee is to find workable solutions that respect the historic fabric and streetscape of the neighborhood.
The Zoning Committee meets once a month on Thursday at 8:00am at 1201 Baylor Street (Austin Fine Properties). Our members attend a variety of city meetings including the Historic Landmark Commission, the Planning Commission, the Board of Adjustment, and the Austin City Council whenever neighborhood projects are up for review or when the City is considering major land use policy initiatives. The re-writing of Austin’s land use code, Code Next, for example, would fall into this category.
For questions regarding permit notices and development rules, or to join the Zoning Committee, residents of OWANA can contact committee members at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rezoning of UT’s ‘Gateway Tract’- You may have heard (and if you haven't, you're in the right place!), the City Council has initiated zoning cases on properties in our neighborhood currently owned by… more →
- LDC Revision Letter to Council Member Tovo- The steering committee along with members from the Zoning have drafted a letter with some concerns around the new Land Development Code. Here it is. OWANA Letter to… more →
- OWANA Support for Historic Landmark Commission Voting Reform- The OWANA Steering Committee wrote a letter expressing their strong support for Item 98, changing voting requirements at the Historic Landmark Commission from a two-thirds super majority to… more →
- OWANA Steering Committee Statement on Draft CodeNext- The OWANA Steering Committee has drafted a statement on the current CodeNext draft that outlines some of the current concerns with the proposal and offers some recommendations for… more →
- Austin Monitor: Council sacrifices Old West Austin building for park improvements- A fourplex in Old West Austin is likely to be demolished despite a push by Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo to save it in the name of historic… more →